Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rain

I love the rain. I love everything about it. The smell (it actually has a word to describe it, petrichor), the feel, the taste. As long as it is not downpour, it is wonderful. It is the perfect weather for you to sit in your bed and read a book. It also is perfect for thinking, and self discovery. I needed the rain. In fact, I think most people needed it. I recently have felt tired. Not physically tired, but emotionally. I feel drained. As a friend perfectly described it, "my soul is tried." I have just found myself putting so much energy and emotions into other thing than myself that I think I tired myself out. A lot of people, including myself, seem to be in a rut lately. We are all so over worked and busy, that none of us have thought about ourselves. We have neglected giving attention and love to ourselves that we are falling apart. The littlest things are getting to us and friendships are breaking because of it.

One of my favorite quotes is "you cannot love others until you love yourself," and I believe it is true. I as a person am always putting others first. I rarely take time to sit down and think "what do I need?" I get so caught up in making others happy and being there, I seem to forget about myself. A lot of people do this, and it results in frustration and tiredness, something I am feeling right now. You cannot help others unless you have helped yourself. It might sound selfish, but it is not. When it comes down to it, life is about one's survival and happiness. If they over look their own needs it is like watering a plant while dieing of thirst. You need the water first.

One other thing I love about rain is its healing power. It can cleanse oneself and release the soul. People always seem to be more open when it is raining. It can wash out the pain and suffering and take it away. However, it does replace it with happiness. Instead I believe it leaves a person with a chance to look at themselves and see what has been bothering them. For instance with me it was my lack of attention for myself. So allow the rain to open you up and see what is wrong, for it will not be here for long. Allow it to help you release the old and start anew. Do not start neglecting your friends, but take a few more minutes for yourself. Run through the rain for a bit, you never know what you might discover. Hopefully some kind of awakening.

-Brandon

1 comment:

  1. well said. i love the rain. more young friends should listen to you

    ReplyDelete